The paintings were completed in a large hall above a workshop. This allowed me to have
about 50 sheets of A1 newsprint on the floor and to work on several pieces at one time. I used very liquid paint in tins including some household paint and various sized brushes. They are achieved intuitively by allowing the loaded paint brush to pass over the surface quickly. This was followed by a more considered reworking of the pieces.
I later worked on some larger 4ftx4ft paintings on board.
Working on the smaller paintings gave me the confidence to apply the same creative process to the larger paintings.
This is my only remaining painting. Painted in 1969.
My decision now was
1. Do I keep the found paintings, 2. Do I put them in the skip .
After a few days I decided to use this as an opportunity to rework the found paintings.
Currently I often collage pieces of previous prints, drawings, cardboard into work.
Also I found if I pulled the painting off the mount it revealed a superb textured background the colour of sand, cliff. The piece below demonstrates this. This was really exciting and encouraged me to continue.
Reworked collages in frames
Paintings waiting to wrapped up and sent to new homes.
The re-made series of paintings,
They hold memories of the past and now form part of the present and future.