Tuesday 11 May 2010

Choosing Paintings For SOS Exhibition at Blackthorpe Barns, Rougham









The annual showcase Suffolk Open Studios Exhibition at Blackthorpe Barns, opens this coming Sat 15th May 11am - 5pm with a private view evening on Friday 14th. 6pm -9pm.

I have been selecting work the final choice will be made on the hanging day it will depend on my position in the barn. Will also put up a piece in the Wrap in Go area were the public will be able to buy and take away at the time of their visit.

I normally dont frame my work but I had a gut feeling about this piece - Pink Lady - I had intended to paint the inside of the frame with a strong blue/purple much as Howard Hodgkin does so it becomes part of the piece. I haven't done as yet but have matched the colour with the white tones in the painting.

The first painting that appears on the post is called New Year Heartstone - it is inspired by a stone I found at new year on the beach at Dunwich. I loved the colours the heart is drawn by a colour thread that runs through the stone.

The second a contender for the wrap and go area is from the Found Series of work it incorporates a found heartstone on the small raised canvas

The third for the wrap and go a Sea Series piece called- Looking Down - it is a view captured last year in a sketch backed up by a photo looking over the cliff edge to the beach below at Dunwich on a very warm day. O I long for that warmth and glow again. I love the long thin slice of the landscape.

The fourth is called White Cliff Figures this uses collage, texture and muted colours. This also is a new way of presenting work for me. I haven't tried this with the public yet I might keep this piece for the Textures, Traces and Elements , exhibiton at Beyond The Image Gallery, Thornham Magna 2nd July - 1st August.

The fifth is Pink Lady.

Why not visit the exhibition to view the work of the SOS artists that will be opening their studios during the weekends in June.

I will be opening my studio at Long Thurlow during weekends June 5/6th, 12/13th 11am -5pm.
go to www.suffolkopenstudios.co.uk for more info and map etc for location.






No comments:

Post a Comment